Tuesday, September 14, 2010

First Day of K-3

It's bittersweet dropping off my not so little baby girl for her first day of school. It's no longer "Mom's Day Out". It's an actual pre-kindergarten class for 3 year olds. Really? Does this really mean that there are only two more years until my baby starts "real" kindergarten. How is that even possible?

Most of you all know Payton's not the most cheerful morning person to be around. Her day usually starts at 8am, only because I wake her. She'd probably sleep until 8:30 or 9am every day if I'd let her. That's only because she prefers to play in her bedroom talking to herself and her imaginary friends for about 2 hours each night before she finally winds herself down- which ends up being between 9:30 and 10pm! She's definitely a night owl, but I can't say I don't know where she gets it from. ;) So on her first morning of school, a little after 8am, it's not surprising that she didn't want to eat the breakfast I had fixed her or get dressed. After a short-lived battle, we managed to get in better spirits and get ready for our big day.

It seems as though our summer has lasted way too long. In fact, most schools started over a month ago. Payton's however was from the middle of May until the middle of September. That's a long break! She got excited when we arrived at her school and walked straight to her classroom. She found her name on the table, where she sat to have a morning snack. No tears were shed from either of us. Although, I could tell she was a little uneasy at first and told me to stay there in the classroom with her. Then she went on to tell me to just wait in the car. I left- no tears, but as I said before, it's a bittersweet feeling. I wanted so much for school to start, but I get this feeling of something missing when she's not around me.

When I picked her up at 2pm, she was happy to see me. She had not taken a nap, which I mentioned the other day, we all pay for by the end of the day when this occurs. On our way home, as I read what her teacher says about her day, she mentioned she had trouble staying on her cot and being quiet and still for naptime. I asked Payton if she had gotten in trouble, and she told me Ms. Denise took away her blanket because she wouldn't stay on her cot at naptime. This can't be good the fact that the first day of school my child gets in trouble and has her blanket taken away because she can't be quiet and still for naptime!!! We shall only see what the future holds!

If there is no nap at school, then at 2 when we get home, there will have to be a nap or at least a quiet time until 3 or a little after for her to get some rest. Or else, what's a day out for Mommy if the rest of my day is going to be a living nightmare. However, life is good in my home right now as my "still little to me" baby girl takes a nap next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment